1951 Born Sydney, Australia
James Whitington’s first training as an artist began at the Miller Street Studios in North Sydney where he worked as a technical assistant in 1976.
In 1977 James established Whaling Road Studios in North Sydney with Diana Davidson, and they completed editions of etchings under the umbrella of Port Jackson Press producing limited edition works with artists including Charles Blackman, Judy Cassab, John Coburn, John-Firth Smith, Keith Looby, John Olson, John Peart, Tim Storrier, Ann Thomson, and Brett Whiteley.
At that time he also began painting. Over the next two years he experimented with etching techniques and began producing his own works. In 1979 he exhibited at Cell Block, East Sydney Technical College (now the National Art School). His work was acquired by the school's printmaking department for its Collection.
By 1982 David Rankin at Port Jackson Press was publishing James' work. In 1988 he established a second printmaking studio in East Sydney - Crown Street Press.
In 1989 he had his first solo exhibition of paintings and monoprints at Blaxland Gallery and has continued to exhibit in both public and regional galleries since.
In 2006 he toured at Orange, Grafton and New England Regional Galleries and in 2009 he was included in a survey of Australian monotype "Mono Uno," from Rupert Bunny 1898 to Charles Blackman 2006, curated by Prof T. Middlemost at Charles Sturt University in Wagga Wagga
James also began working as a filmmaker in 1990 and wrote, directed and produced films including “Into the Light” that premiered at Academy Twin Cinema, Paddington and was shown at Film Festivals in Chicago, New York and Berlin.